Get Ready to Disco: This Fun Wedding Trend is Blowing Up!
Time to Bust Out Your Dancing Shoes, Disco Weddings are Here.
If you've neem waiting your whole life for disco to come back around, it's time to break out your bell bottoms. Disco balls have officially become one of the most popular wedding accessories and for good reason! If you are planning your wedding and want to make a statement, you may want to consider a disco wedding theme! This trend is all about fun and letting your personality shine. DIY weddings are perfect for this trend because you can really let your imagination run wild. There are so many possibilities when it comes to flowers, decorations, signage, and disco wedding dresses. We can't wait to see all the creative weddings that come out in the next few years! Keep reading to learn all about disco weddings and how you can DIY your own for ultimate success. We have tons of tips and tricks along with a testimonials & photos from a couple of our real-life DIY brides who set the standard for disco weddings early on (#OGstatus).
What is a Disco Wedding?
A disco wedding is all about fun, music, and dancing. This type of wedding is perfect for couples who want to let their personalities shine. DIY weddings are the perfect platform for disco themes because you can really go all out with the decorations and flowers. The great thing about this trend is that it is very versatile. You can DIY so many aspects of disco wedding decor from the actual disco balls to the bouquets to the glowing signs.
The disco trend first started to pick up steam in early 2020 when more and more couples began looking for unique ways to DIY their weddings. With the surge of the retro trend, disco became a popular choice for couples who wanted to add a little bit of fun and personality to their wedding day. While the pandemic put a damper on weddings in 2020, we are seeing a resurgence of this trend in 2022 as couples are getting ready to tie the knot, and we are so here for it!
We tried to make our decisions based on what would make us smile that day, instead of what we thought we should be doing, and it worked!I honestly wouldn't have changed anything, everything went off without a hitch and was a dream.
Real Life Moxie Bride Lindsey Kuntz chose a disco aesthetic for her own event, but wasn't so sure at first.
"When planning our first wedding I bounced back and forth between a classic boho look or fun colorful disco, and went with classic. After our reschedule, I switched it up and wanted all the disco balls and fun details everywhere. Breakfast is our favorite food and meal to cook every weekend, so we went with breakfast for dinner and donuts for dessert which was a huge hit!" said Kuntz.
Kuntz went above and beyond the theme, opting for an event that reflected her and her partner Chris' tastes.
"I liked that we included personal touches everywhere from breakfast for dinner, to personalizing and putting comedic relief into our ceremony and vows. Our wedding party walked down the aisle to a classical version of the Jurassic Park theme song and we were announced as a couple to the Top Gun Anthem. We tried to make our decisions based on what would make us smile that day, instead of what we thought we should be doing, and it worked! I honestly wouldn't have changed anything, everything went off without a hitch and was a dream."
What are some DIY disco wedding ideas?
DIY disco weddings are all about fun and personality. You can really let your imagination run wild when it comes to this type of DIY wedding. Some popular DIY disco wedding ideas include:
- Disco balls: These are a must for any disco wedding! You can DIY your own disco balls to save more dough! Hanging disco balls from the ceiling or placing them around potted plants or centerpieces adds an easy and impactful disco touch.
- DIY disco signage: Glowing signs are a popular decoration for disco weddings. You can DIY your own signs with LED lights or neon lights. This is a great way to add some personalization to your wedding decor.
- DIY disco flowers: Flowers are a key part of any wedding, but they don't have to be boring! DIY disco flowers can be bright, fun, and unique. You can use different colors and textures to create a one-of-a-kind bouquet or centerpiece.
- Disco Wedding Cake: A disco wedding cake must be THE most fun wedding cake ever! You can DIY a disco-themed cake or cupcakes by adding disco balls decor or edible glitter.
- Disco Wedding Playlist: A disco wedding wouldn't be complete without an epic playlist! You can DIY your own playlist with all of your favorite disco wedding songs. Be sure to add some classic hits and new songs to get everyone on the dance floor.
- Disco Wedding Dress: A disco-themed wedding is a perfect opportunity to wear a fun and unique wedding gown. You can DIY your own gown or purchase one that fits your personality. If you're not into the traditional white dress, consider sequins, tassels, or pops of color!
- Disco Suits: For gentlemen and ladies alike, disco suits are a must! You can DIY your own disco suit by bedazzling ties, choosing shiny cufflinks, or adding a fun boutonniere.
- Disco Cowgirls: If you're looking for a more in-touch disco wedding, consider a disco cowboy theme! This theme is all about juxtaposing cowgirl hats & fringe against hot pink lights and disco balls. Be sure to add some fun sequins or cacti to really make your event unique.
Now that you know all about disco weddings, it's time to start planning your own! Here are some tips and tricks to help you DIY your dream disco wedding:
- Start early: DIY weddings take a lot of time and effort, so it's important to start planning as early as possible. This will help you avoid any last-minute stress and ensure that everything is perfect on your big day.
- Create a budget: DIY weddings are sure to shave tons from your budget, but if you aren't careful they can still be costly. It is important to create a budget and stick to it. Prioritize the items that are most important to you and save DIYing the rest.
- Get help from friends and family: DIY weddings are a lot of work, so it's important to enlist the help of your friends and family. Ask them to pitch in with specific tasks or DIY projects. This will help lighten your load and make the process more fun! Check out our handy Helpers Guide here.
Best Flowers for a DIY Disco Ball Wedding
When choosing flowers for your DIY disco wedding, you will need to decide if you want the flowers to pop from your disco balls and neon signs, or if you want a more blended, casual affair. For flowers that will really stand out, go for bright colors and big blooms. Bright roses, carnations, and painted greenery are all great choices. For more bright-flowered inspiration check out these curated flower collections:
- Bright and Cheerful
- Palm Springs
- Citrus Crush
- Eggplant & Lavender
If you want your flowers to blend in with your disco theme, then choose more muted tones like baby's breath and greenery. Live plants add an electric feel that compliments disco balls perfectly! We recommend incorporating live plants with any of these collections:
- Greenery Only
- Cream and Sage
- Emerald and Cream
- Tropical Minimalism
DIY disco weddings are the perfect way to add personality and fun to your big day! With a little bit of planning and creativity, you can DIY your dream disco wedding. Just remember to start early, stay organized, and be creative. Happy DIYing!
Feeling inspired? Check this out
About the Author
Callie Hutson is the floral wunderkind of Flower Moxie. She works in Order Managament and does Custom Designs, so if you need help with your floral emergency she is your gal. When she's not creating incredible floral masterpieces she can be found adventuring in the outdoors with labradoodle Sierra or sipping on Lavender Lattes.