All About Hydrangea DIY Wedding Flowers
Are you looking for the perfect flowers to style for your DIY wedding arrangements? Look no further than the perfect wedding bloom - Hydrangea!
Hydrangeas can become the theme for your entire wedding or make the perfect addition to other blooms and greenery. These delicate and classic flowers are suren to deliver with so many blooms on just a single stem. When added to a bridal bouquet, centerpieces or decor, hydrangea wedding flowers will pack a punch.
With florist-grade blooms and a professional background, we offer you all the inspiration and supplies you need to make the most breathtaking hydrangea bouquets — because you deserve to #BrideLikeABoss.
Looking for versatile, chic flowers that are always classy? Check out our selection of bulk hydrangeas to incorporate into your floral designs.
Characteristics of Hydrangea Wedding Flowers
With full blooms, lush volume and various color options, hydrangea wedding flowers have so much to offer for your bouquets. Their beautiful cluster of full petals will complement and contrast with various other flowers — for a classy and chic arrangement that expresses your style.
Here are some characteristics to consider before buying hydrangeas for your DIY bouquets:
- Hydrangeas can come in pink, purple, blue, white, green and red — and sometimes they have hints of more than one color in their petals.
- The flowers on hydrangeas are actually tiny blossoms — but they grow in close clusters to give the appearance of big, ruffled flowers.
- Each hydrangea stem contains a puff-like cluster of blooms, and arrangements are built by cluster.
- The size of hydrangea clusters can range from 4 inches to 8 inches in diameter.
- Hydrangeas have a short vase life, so they should be hydrated as soon as you receive them and placed in cool temperatures.
Choosing Hydrangea Flowers for Your Wedding
Do you love the fresh, unique look of hydrangeas? They add a perfect touch of beauty, life and light elegance to your wedding aesthetic. Whether your theme is pastel and spring-inspired or subdued and sophisticated, these beauties will add something special to your arrangements.
Hydrangeas are typically used as "fillers" or "volume flowers" — blooms that fill the gaps in bouquets, add volume and provide visual interest for the arrangements. Your filler flowers should take up about 35% of the design. Pair your hydrangeas with other beautiful blooms for use in:
- Bridal bouquets: Bring your personal bouquet to life with the addition of blooming hydrangeas. We recommend using five to eight stems to flesh out your bridal bouquet and complement your other blooms. Add blooms such as roses and lisianthus to add more texture.
- Bridesmaid bouquets: Hydrangeas are also a lovely pick for bridesmaid bouquets. Add two to three stems of the flower to each arrangement. Greenery such as Seeded Eucalyptus is a lovely addition to fresh flower bridesmaid bouquets.
- Centerpieces: Add texture and floral accents to each table by using hydrangea wedding flowers in your centerpieces. Three to six stems is just the right amount to draw your guests' attention without overwhelming the table. Hydrangea are very soft and fluffy, so adding texture elements like berries and blue thistle can really change the look of your centerpieces!
- Large arrangements: Because they come in large clusters of little flowers, hydrangeas aren't a suitable choice for small details like boutonnieres, but they make the perfect addition to large arrangements. For especially big assortments, use 10 to 20 stems. Carnations and spray roses are lovely additions to large ceremony arrangements as well.
Now that you know how to choose your blooms, let's get into the nitty-gritty of putting together your DIY wedding flowers.
Whether you're a floral aficionado or a complete novice, we believe that anyone can put together stunning hydrangea bouquets with the right tools and guidance. Follow our step-by-step tutorials for flower preparation and design techniques. We have you covered!
Meaning of Hydrangea DIY Wedding Flowers
In the Victorian era, hydrangeas symbolized gratitude and understanding. They also share a symbolism with heartfelt emotions, devotion and grace. Whether you are drawn to their delicate look, iconic shape or classic colors, hydrangeas are sure to make your wedding day even more special.
Hydrangeas come in many different colors, and the color of hydrangeas also holds meaning:
Pink hydrangeas represent genuine emotions and heartfelt feelings.
Purple hydrangeas signify gratitude and appreciation.
Green hydrangeas represent understanding and compassion.
White hydrangeas represent purity, innocence and grace.
Blue hydrangeas represent sincerity, faithfulness and devotion. Blue hydrangeas can also be used to reflect the classic "something blue" tradition in weddings.
Red hydrangeas represent passionate love and desire.
Mixing hydrangea colors can create a bouquet that symbolizes multiple emotions.
For example, a bride carrying all white hydrangeas in her bouquet may represent purity and grace, while a groom wearing a green and blue boutonniere could symbolize understanding and appreciation.
An all-green hydrangea bouquet may be perfect for a nature-themed or outdoor wedding, while an all-blue arrangement could be lovely for a sophisticated soiree.
Use the hydrangea color meaning to guide your choices when picking out your wedding flowers. You can also use hydrangeas to add special symbolic details to your wedding day décor. For example, put a vase of white hydrangeas on each table as part of your centerpieces to represent purity and innocence, or use blue hydrangeas in your bouquet arrangements to show off your sincerity and devotion.
Whether you choose one color or mix a few together, adding hydrangeas to your wedding flowers is a beautiful way to express your emotions on your big day.
Pro Tip: Painting hydrangea with Design Master Fresh Floral Paint is an easy way to achieve the exact color and feel you are looking for in your DIY Wedding flowers!
How to Care for Your Hydrangea Flowers
When ordering Hydrangea Flowers from Flower Moxie, the flowers will arrive fresh and ready to use after being processed and hydrated. The Hydrangea Flowers will be shipped in flower boxes and wrapped with paper to protect the flowers during transit. Upon arrival, it is important to open the box and remove the Hydrangea Flowers from the packaging. The flowers will need to be re-cut and placed in fresh and clean water. Hydrangea Flowers will last anywhere from 5 to 10 days when properly cared for.
To extend the life of your Hydrangea flowers, we recommend following these simple tips:
- Keep the Hydrangea Flowers in a cool location, out of direct sunlight and away from heat sources
- Be sure to not overcrowd the hydrangea in buckets and leave room for the blooms to breathe and bloom
- Change the water after 2 days or if it looks dirty
- Add flower food to the water following the packet's instructions
- Re-cut the stems every 2 to 3 days or as needed
- Remove any broken or browning stems and set aside for boutonnieres and corsages
By following these simple tips, you can rest assured knowing that your Hydrangea flowers will perform beautifully in your bouquets, centerpieces, flower crowns, arch arrangements, centerpieces, and all other DIY wedding decor.
Buy Hydrangea Flowers Online for Your DIY Wedding
When you are ready to put your dream wedding together with DIY skill, Flower Moxie is here to make it simple. Shop our gorgeous selection of hydrangea wedding flowers online — and explore our chic design ideas for more inspiration.
If you are looking for an easy way to add hydrangea flowers to your wedding decor, look no further than Flower Moxie. We offer a wide variety of hydrangea flowers in every color. In addition, we offer a convenient online ordering system so you can get your flowers delivered right to your door via FedEx or shipped Air Cargo by Southwest. Check out our shipping options here. If you are looking for bunches upon bunches of hydrangea flowers, consider buying in bulk. Flower Moxie offers a wide selection of hydrangea flowers for bulk purchase. Shop our selection here.
If you are planning to DIY your wedding flowers, we recommend that you place your order for wedding supplies at least 2 to 3 months before the big day. By being proactive and placing your order early, you can to help avoid any last-minute stress on your big day and have less items on your checklist. We will ship your flowers to you 3 days before your DIY Wedding or event so you have enough time to make them into the bouquets, centerpieces, and other arrangements of your dreams. Check out our timeline instructions and video!
Flower Moxie provides all of the information, tutorials, and tips that you need to create beautiful Wedding Flowers with hydrangea Flowers. From bouquets to boutonnieres to garlands and more, we have everything you need to bring your vision to life.
No matter what your vision is for your big day, Flower Moxie can help you. For more information about our hydrangea and other flowers, or to place an order, please contact us today. We are here to help make your wedding dreams a reality!
We hope you enjoyed learning all about hydrangea flowers and how to use them in your DIY wedding flowers. Be sure to check out our other DIY Wedding Flower Guides for more great tips and tricks! DIY Wedding Flowers can be a lot of work, but they are so worth it when you see the final product on your big day! Congratulations and happy DIYing!
Flower Moxie offers a wide variety of DIY wedding flowers and supplies. Please check out our Supply Store here for all of your DIY Wedding Flower needs! If you need help getting started, our experts are always available to offer tips and advice.